Are you thinking of getting a movement monitor for your baby this year? We’ve looked at over twenty different options for 2020 that we purchased for testing in order to help you determine the best baby monitor for your needs. Some parents find that a movement monitor provides peace of mind and a better night of sleep by helping them to deal with any fears of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) or other issues that might arise during the night for their baby. While movement monitors do not claim to prevent SIDS, they can track the baby’s breathing movements and quickly alert parents to anything potentially going wrong, providing additional peace of mind for concerned parents. Always remember that safe sleep guidelines should be followed every night in order to reduce your baby’s risk of SIDS.
Best Overall Movement Monitor - Babysense 7 ($199.99)
- BUNDLE PACK: BABYSENSE VIDEO BABY MONITOR V43 SPLIT SCREEN with 2 PTZ CAMERAS combined with BABYSENSE 7 Baby Movement Monitor - Provides Optimal Protection
- INVEST IN YOUR PEACE OF MIND: There's nothing more stressful than not knowing what your little one is doing. That is why this Bundle Pack is supplied with 2 reliable monitors for monitoring baby's movements and seeing your baby, with secure hack-free connection. Allows you to sleep better at night.
- UNDER-THE-MATTRESS MOVEMENT MONITOR - Now with enhances sensitivity - This highly sensitive non-touch device monitors a baby's micro-movements through the mattress. It includes two sensor pads to cover the entire crib area without touching the baby or disrupting baby's sleep.
- SOOTHE & COMFORT YOUR BABY: Use the two-way audio or the programmed lullaby sounds to calm your baby remotely. Watch your kid in the nursery 24/7, thanks to the IR night vision of this high-end portable baby cam monitor. Unlike most standard baby monitors, this SPLIT SCREEN video baby monitor is equipped with 2 surveillance cameras.
- RELIABLE TECHNOLOGY - Babysense is the original patented and first non-touch movement monitor of its kind. It has been around the world since 1992 and has helped protecting millions of infants.
Parent Unit: No
The Babysense 7 is a sensor pad monitor sitting underneath the crib mattress. It’s easy to use and requires minimal preparation in order to set up. The monitor is very straightforward to use with a unit that you simply place on the front of the crib. It is set up with two pads that sound an alarm, which also comes with red alert lights that will alert you immediately if your infant stops moving after a certain period. The Babysense 7 is a reliable monitor that is often reviewed for having very few false alarms. It is operated with AA batteries in order to limit the use of cords, which could potentially be dangerous to your baby. Also, it will continue working reasonably well once your little one is moving around more; many parents report that it works well until around the age of one.
The Babysense 7 is typical of mattress movement sensors in that it requires a hard surface to be fitted under the mattress in order to function correctly. It’s also worth noting that this movement monitor does not come with a parent unit, so it might not be the best choice of device for you if you want to avoid alarms going off in your child’s room. However, thanks to the two pads, it works well for a longer period of time compared to competing products and is easy to set up and use. Most parents appreciate the simplicity of use.
Monitor with Gentle Baby Rousing - Snuza Hero SE (No products found.)
Parent Unit: No
The Snuza Hero SE is a clip-on style wearable baby monitor featuring unique vibrations that are designed to gently wake your baby from a deep sleep. This allows the baby to move enough to stop the vibrating alarm before an audible alarm goes off. This monitor is a favorite with parents who find it simple to use either at home or when traveling since it does not require a specific bedding setup, unlike the sensor pad-style monitors.
However, it’s worth bearing in mind that the clip can be uncomfortable for some infants and it also may not work as well if your child is old enough to roll over, move around, or crawl during the night since this can cause the sensor to become dislodged or lose contact. And, it’s also worth noting that the unit does not come with a parent unit - if the vibration does not wake your baby up, an audible alarm will be set off from the clip that you might not hear if you aren’t close by, which can be upsetting for some babies. Some parents have reported false alarms with this monitor when the clip lost contact with the baby, while others were not satisfied with the shorter battery life. However, the Snuza Hero is an excellent choice for parents who travel a lot with their baby and many parents enjoy the unique vibrating feature to encourage their baby to wake up or move throughout the night.
Budget-Friendly Wearable - Snuza Go ($66.99)
The Snuza Go is a wearable baby monitor ideal for parents on a budget. It works by clipping to the front of your baby’s diaper and comes with a flexible sensor that rests on the baby’s abdomen. It is easy to use and an ideal choice for use when traveling. It comes with a simple design and set-up that does not require any crib modification and can be used straight out of the box, unlike mattress-style movement monitors. It’s a very similar design to the Snuza Hero, however, this option does not include the unique vibration feature for peacefully waking the baby.
Some parents are concerned that the Snuza Go does not come with a parent unit, which coupled with a loud nursery alarm could be upsetting for some babies if the parent is not nearby to hear it. Some parents also feel that battery life is not the best - and it can be difficult to find a replacement battery. It’s also not ideal for older babies who can move around as this increases the risk of false alarms. However, the lower price of this movement monitor definitely makes it one of the best options to consider if you do not have a lot to spend.
App-Enabled Wearable: Sense-U Baby ($299.99)
- KNOW YOUR BABY'S VITALS WHILE STREAMING HD VIDEO ANYTIME, ANYWHERE: The Sense-U Video+Breathing Baby Monitor 2 tracks your baby's breathing, body temperature, and sleep position while streaming HD video, anytime, anywhere. It provides you peace of mind and better sleep.
- SEE, HEAR AND TALK TO YOUR BABY WHEN BABY NEEDS YOU: The Sense-U Video camera features 1080p HD Video, Night Vision, 140-degree Wide Angle, 4X Zoom, 2-way Talk, Background Audio, Secure WiFi which allows you to see, hear and talk to your baby securely and clearly in your favorite view, right from your smartphone. You can get audible notifications when baby's motion or sound is detected.
- LIGHTS AND SOUNDS ALERTS FOR WEAK BREATHING, SLEEPING ON STOMACH, OVERHEATING OR GETTING COLD: The Sense-U Baby device monitors your baby's vitals and the Base Station alerts you with lights and sounds when something happens. In the meantime, you can get audible notifications on your smartphone too.
- MULTIPLES SUPPORTED & FSA/HSA ELIGIBLE: The Sense-U Baby app supports multiple cameras and baby devices (up to 5) at a time, and the Sense-U baby monitors are FSA/HSA eligible!
- OUR PROMISE: Love it or return within 30 days for a full refund, making it a great gift for baby registries and showers or as a gift to new parents.
Parent Unit: Smartphone app
The Sense-U Baby is a wearable movement monitor that is great for families that want to gather more information on what’s happening with their baby and inside the baby’s room. The wearable attaches like a button or can be clipped on to the baby’s clothing. It’s very easy for most babies to wear and can be turned on easily. The device can be paired with a free app that comes with an intuitive, user-friendly interface that’s simple for most parents to use. When using the app, you can gain access to information about more than just movement including your baby’s temperature, sleeping position, and more. This is a portable option, which makes it an ideal choice for travel.
On the downside, some parents were frustrated about the fact that this device is only able to pair with one device at a time, meaning that both parents cannot have access from their separate smartphones. And, the Bluetooth on the device only works up to around 50ft, therefore it does not always work well in larger homes and cannot be used to monitor your baby if you are outside of the home and the baby is in another’s care.
Movement Sensor Pads and More - Angelcare AC327 ($344.94)
- New wireless SensAsureTM Breathing Sensor Pad : an alarm will sound if absolutely no movement is detected after 20 seconds
- Non-contact monitoring: No electronic devices touching the sensitive skin of your baby
- 4.3’’ Parent Unit & Camera Unit with Temperature indicator
- Easy set-up: comes pre-paired with full secure 2.4GHz transmission
- 3-in-1 baby monitor: breathing movement detection, video and sound at an affordable price
Parent Unit: Dedicated
The Angelcare AC327 is a movement monitor with everything that you need. It is a wireless sensor pad that comes with a dedicated parent device including audio and video capabilities, making it ideal for parents who are looking for a device that can grow with their baby long after the need for a movement monitor is gone. The pad sensitivity is adjustable, allowing you to filter out ambient vibrations, and you can use the parent unit to watch and listen to your baby rather than having a loud alarm set off in the nursery.
However, on the downside, the parent device is not intuitive and offers limited buttons that have icons that some parents feel are rather dated. The video images and sound are described as average, and the sensor pads require a hard surface to rest on. It also only works with specific styles of mattress, so it’s important to do your research before you buy.
If you want to contact us feel free to do so here.